Friday, March 25, 2011

Freedom Friday

I may be the only person who struggles with so many 'good' things I feel I should do. As I get older I realize it is okay to say no and not do everything but even at that I feel like my own expectations for myself are still overwhelming at times. I just finished reading a great book that has given me a new found "freedom". I want to post some quotes from the book here, the ones that really spoke to my heart.

From Mary, Martha and Me by Camilla Fronk Olson

"When this highest love of God comes before any checklist obedience, humility and gratitude accompany our sincere efforts, and we are empowered beyond our natural ability to "go and do" what the Lord commands..."

Later she quotes President Howard W. Hinter: "If our lives and our faith are centered on Jesus Christ and his restored gospel, nothing can go permanently wrong. On the other hand, if our lives are not centered on the Savior and his teachings, no other success can ever be permanently right"

She goes on to write: "We may not accomplish number ten or even number three on our daily list but well most assuredly get to number one."

Then later:"Putting God first supplies direction to our quest for balance, for finding the One Needful Thing whose gifts cannot be taken from us. Seeing Mary and Martha contentedly engaged in serving the Lord, using talents and spiritual direction they were gifted to offer, is yet another marvelous example of the miracle. All are blessed when their hearts are turned to the Lord. All are blessed with reverence for Jesus Christ because they desired to put Him first. Rather than compare and rank their different modes of service, they loved God first."

It's such a great book but these are my most favorite parts. As I put God first, his will, I will have done the "One Needful Thing" thus whatever I do after is guided by the spirit and also sufficient. I can be content when I put Him first, I am free--remember the scripture the truth shall set you free...there you go! So my post is about freedom that can not be taken away but obtained through our obedience. I have sensed this at different times but I like how she helped me think about it. I know this is true I have tested it and I am trying to make it a permanent part of who I am. Have a great day!

No comments: