Sunday, July 12, 2009

Movie & Book Reviews...




So I actually have read some books here and there. I read The Star Garden which is the last of the These is My Words trilogy--a historical fiction of a pioneer woman in Arizona. It's a bit violent for me but it was still interesting to read over all. I still think These is My Words is the best in the series, I LOVED it. I bought a bunch of books for the kids this summer and couldn't resisted getting me one! I love fantasy/fairytale so this book The Princess of the Midnight Ball caught my eye. It's a rewrite of the 12 dancing princesses. I loved it. It's a quick read and is a delight. Emily read it first and she loved it and begged me to read it too.

We've been watching musicals, my mom had a ton and I borrowed them since I was thinking Emily might enjoy them and I thought my older boys hadn't seen them. Boy was I wrong, Taran and Timo saw them in choir and general music. And they hated them. Owell. So far Fiddler on the Roof is Emily's favorite. I had not seen most of these in awhile or ever. I think the Sound of Music is my favorite, then Fiddler on the Roof the rest are really strange but I do like some of the songs from them! We have seen: South Pacific, Brigadoon, My Fair Lady and we are in the middle of Hello Dolly! We saw Annie Get Your Gun last Saturday put on by the local theater here. The actors were talented but I didn't LOVE the story but it was better than some of these others! Maybe I'll make my list of my top musicals someday. Let me know your favorites and we'll watch them.

We saw Up for my birthday, that was good. Then for our anniversary we saw the new Star Trek movie. Tim loved it, I enjoyed it. It was entertaining and I think they did a good job at picking the actors. Taran went and saw it with some friends and enjoyed it and he isn't a trekkie or a big movie goer. We watched Forever Strong last night, we gave the DVD to Tim for Father's Day. So we finally got to watch it. It was really good. It is based on actual events about a teenage rugby player headed to jail for drunk driving multiple times and how he is influenced by a great coach and turns his life around. This is a great family show, a must see!!! We've rented some movies too: Inkheart, cute show a good family show, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, little kids liked it I didn't see it, Every Road Leads Home, Emily liked it A LOT, but I didn't get to see it either. We like to use Redbox since our new Walmart has one. So there you go! I look forward to seeing Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince this week! We are going Wednesday!!!

5 comments:

4boyzmdmom said...

I will have to check out the princess book; I loved the story of the 12 dancing princesses!

I really like musicals although I admit I like the music more than the stories most of the time. I agree Fiddler on the Roof and Music Man are really good; so is The Sound of Music. I didn't like Brigadoon the first time I saw it, but it's grown on me. Try Oklahoma, The King and I, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Tim was in that one in high school), Camelot, Cinderella, Once Upon a Mattress, and Carousel. There was a lot about Carousel that really disturbed me, but it has some great music.

Oh, and then there's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, which I think is delightful. I saw a musical called Shennandoah once that I liked, but I've never been able to find a movie version of it (doesn't mean one doesn't exist, though).

RAQ said...

Thanks for the ideas, I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! I saw Joseph and the Amazing ... at BYU before my mission and it was pretty good. Tim and I saw Phantom the touring group in Salt Lake, very good! Someday I would like to see Wicked in person.

andrea said...

Hooray, I'm always looking for good book suggestions. If you like Jane Austen type stuff, I just finished "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen". It was a fictional novel but was written as if they were her memoirs. I really enjoyed it. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

We LOVED Forever Strong. Such a good movie. I didn't know Inkheart was out....I'll have to see if I can get it from Netflix! :)

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm in need of a good book. Come to think of it, we're in need a good movie. Thanks!

Shellie said...

I agree, I was disappointed a bit with star garden, I liked the second one a lot, but the first is the best!